Pollo en Chile Verde (Green Chile Chicken)
Submitted by dave on Sun, 2005-11-06 23:06.
A traditional Mexican dish combining the wonderful flavors of tomatillo, green chiles and cilantro.
- 1 pound tomatillos
- 4 serrano chiles
- 2 poblano chiles or 3 new mexican green chiles
- 2 clove garlic
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 small bunch cilantro
- 2 pounds chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 cup hot water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop up the tomatillos and cook them over medium low heat, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes
- Chop the chiles, garlic, onion and cilantro, then puree them together in a blender.
- Add the puree to the tomatillos. I then usually use the hot water to get the last of the puree out of the blender and into the pot.
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and add to the mix.
- Cook over medium heat for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Add the salt, pepper and chipotle to tase about half way through the cooking time.
- Serve with rice
Hot & Spicy Mexican - Dave DeWitt, Mary Jane Wilan and Melissa T. Stock