I set up a Drupal 7 website a couple years ago for my work, so Drupal 8 doesn't seem as foreign to me as it otherwise might, having last used version 5. Even so, there are a lot of changes since version 7, some of them good, others just confusing.
Setting up a new site requires making a lot of decisions.
- comments - leaving them on for now, but have to be logged in to comment. I'll need to add an automatic spam filter.
- users - require admin approval. Can only comment, once and approved user. Need to add a capcha to keep from getting too many users created by spambots.
- theme - this is a big one! I'll be trying several in the coming days. It needs to be nice, and fairly simple. It needs to be responsive (mobile friendly) and also work with slider modules
- slider - we used flexslider at work, with most others being a PITA to work with.
- adsense - yeah, I'm going to monetize the site, but not overdo it.
- amazon - see above, especially if I do reviews.
- gallery - I have a pile of pictures, and I'd rather serve them up from my own site than to depend on some other site like google or instagram.
There will be more things in the mix, but this is enough to get started.
I'll need to come up with a site logo, and a favicon (that little logo that appears in your browser tab right next to the page title)