In the time it took me to get the reCAPTCHA module installed on the registration page last night, there were 8 bots that registered users. It's now been about 12 hours, and there are no new successful registrations. I did check to make sure that it still works, and it does, so all is well.
I just needed to go to the CAPTCHA admin page, go to the "CAPTCHA points" tab, and enable the user_register_form, then edit it to do a reCAPTCHA. Well, I needed to register the site with google to get keys.
I set up a Drupal 7 website a couple years ago for my work, so Drupal 8 doesn't seem as foreign to me as it otherwise might, having last used version 5. Even so, there are a lot of changes since version 7, some of them good, others just confusing.
Setting up a new site requires making a lot of decisions.
I've had this domain for 18 year, and it's been laying dormant and ignored for about 10 of those. I returned to school, and didn't have time to post too many updates, and I definitely didn't have time to update the content management system behind the site. Eventually, the CMS would no longer run on the newer versions of PHP when the hosting company did their upgrades, so that was it for a while.
Now, I'm getting tired of using facebook for everything, and want to bring back a place to write what I want, and share it with a wider audience again. So here we go!